I live in Madrid, Spain and as you may know we are in complete lockdown unable to get out of our house not even to go for a little walk. We are staying home for the sake of everyone and in hopes that this way we will contain the virus. The situation is meant to be like this for at least 15 days but it’s likely that it will go on for longer. As you can imagine and many of you may be already experiencing staying home for such a long period of time is not something any of us looked forward to.
Still, as weird as it may sound I’m finding this crisis to be completely eye opening to a lot of people and to me it seems like the universe or God or whomever is up there has put it here for a reason. We live such fast paced lives that we have forgotten about the things that truly matter:
We have forgotten to live the True Human Experience and we have forgotten the reason we are all here for.
We often go about life unaware that we are living, we operate on autopilot and we don’t dare to stop and take control just in case we might catch glimpse of something we don’t like. Since we are unable to willingly stop the universe has done it for us, it has pulled the brakes and it has made us find stillness within the space of our homes our sanctuaries.
It must be addressed that I'm talking fully aware of my own privilege. I live in a world where I have a roof over my head, food in my table, access to healthcare and a community around me. I can not change the fact that I am privileged, what I can do though is try to add some value in the midst of this chaos. By no means I claim that a situation like this is necessary to get to a place where you appreciate the things you have, but since we are here and we can not change the crisis we are facing it let's do our best to instead change our mindset. No matter your own situation there are always ways you can shift certain aspects of your life or that you can serve others even if it's simply sharing a few words.
It’s only been a couple days but instead of finding people going mad because of the lockdown I’m seeing pure magic arise in my community:
As parents we are spending time with our kids, time for real, caring, sharing experiences, giving our full attention to one another
As couples we are having real conversations about how we are doing, where we want to go, we are learning to enjoy simple daily activities that usually are cause for arguments such as setting the table, preparing dinner or showing appreciation
We are serving our grandparents as they have served us many times before, young people are offering their services to go grocery shopping or to care for them as the elderly are the most vulnerable of groups
Adolescents being forced to stay home for so long are willing to put the phone down and open up to their families
As neighbors we are coming together to the windows to talk to one another, to let the sun in and share a beer in the distance
As a community we are putting our differences aside and we are embracing the tremendous effort the medical stuff and all the people involved in handling this situation are doing in this time of need
As a country we are putting our fellow citizens above our own personal desires and needs
As individuals we are finding comfort in being part of something greater than us
As human beings we are having our faith in humanity restored
Having this time be solely a crisis or turn it into a miracle of sorts is up to each and every one of us. It’s a choice we actively make, here are some things to reflect and act on to make coronavirus a turning point for good in your life:
1. Self reflect: use this time at home to really explore your thoughts and feelings Are you happy with the life you are leading? Are you happy with the person you are? Do you like how you treat others? Do you like how you treat yourself?
2. Connect: be open with your family and/or your partner. Share what you are feeling, be vulnerable, ask questions, get intimate. Create a space to have deep conversations to really see each other and to rediscover one another. It’s not like that you get to spend so much time alone together again, use it wisely and appreciate it. When was the last time you we curious about them? When was the last time you discover something new about your partner? Can you fall in love again in 15 days? Can you put your family before work?
3. Be Grateful: for the home you get to live in, for the people you share it with, for the food in your plate, for the doctors, nurses and stuff fighting this virus, for the country you live in, for the opportunities to grow, for peace, for light.
4. Create: do something for the sake of enjoying the process not because it is something to check off your list or because it serves a purpose. Make art, make a wonderful meal, make love, make a movie, take pictures, make a mess, make up stories, make up with someone, just make.
5. Invest: everyone is worried about the future but worrying gets you nowhere, investing will. The only way to get closer to the future you want is to take action. Think of what you need, believe in your idea and put your money where your heart is. Invest in your personal development, in your growth, in your business, in your brand, in people you believe in. It’s the perfect time to make a plan and to plant the seed of the future you want for yourself. If you don’t like something, stop doing it and change it. It’s in you.
Personally I'm using this time to continue to connect with others, to grow mentally and emotionally, to appreciate and strengthen my relationship, to turn weaknesses into strengths, to become a better human being. I’m spending quality time with my family, yesterday we played ping-pong and we talked for hours in our garden.
I hired a coach a few weeks ago and I’m actively investing in my business and in my future. I’m also helping my peculiar clients to create wonderful brands so they can make a different in the world. I’m connecting with incredible people and teaching them how to share their stories and live their truths. I'm vouching for having this be a time of change to invest in what you love and to create something you are proud of.
I am making magic within four walls and I couldn’t be any more grateful for being able to despite everything appreciate the cards we've been dealt and make the most out of them.
This is what I'M choosing, what are YOU choosing? Let me know in the comments below how you are dealing with this situation and if you have found this post helpful. We are here to support each other so I'm happy to answer any questions. Lots of light to you all!